[yt-users] Projection questions

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:33:49 PDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Scott Feister <sfeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Thanks a lot for the clarifications. I got confused on just one of your
> sentences:
>
> *It will average all the cells along the line of sight at that x,y value.
> Those cells might have different spatial resolutions.*
>
> So, a projection doesn't factor in every cell in the simulation, but it
> takes some subset? So, if there is a single cell in the grid that happens
> to have an absolutely enormous field value, it's quite possible that this
> will be under-factored or over-factored in a projection (depending on if
> the projection rays "misses" or "hits" it)?

For each pixel, it takes into account all cells that contribute along the
line of sight for that pixel.

If a single cell in the grid has an enormous value, it will be factored in
at the same level of weighting as other cells at the same resolution level.

> When you say the cells might have different resolution, do you mean they
> would have *sub-cells *or that they would have different
> lengths/widths/heights?

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you refer to "sub-cells" here. Let me
see if I can explain in a little bit more detail.

For a single pixel in a projection, yt figures out a "stack" of cells in
your simulation that are at different Z values but also enclose the X and Y
values of your pixel.

To figure out the projection at that pixel, yt computes the sum of cell
values times dZ in the "stack" of cells at that X,Y location. Optionally,
there might be a weight field here as well, so for a weighted projection it
would be the sum of the cell values multiplied by the weight field values
multiplied by dZ.

There's a little bit of text in the docs describing how different
projection types are formulated mathematically:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/visualizing/plots.html#types-of-projections

This is also covered in the yt method paper (section 3.2):

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011ApJS..192....9T

Hope that explains it,

Nathan