[yt-users] GDF format issue

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:47:36 PDT 2016

Hi Andrea,

In your script, you have that the dimensions of the root grid are 2x2x2,
but you have a grid on AMR level 1 that goes from 0.25 to 0.75 along z.
This means that the grid on AMR level 1 partially overlaps with some of the
root grid zones. This means that there are zones in your root grid that are
"half" refined. In yt's AMR implementation this is not allowed, grids must
be strictly nested (i.e. the boundary of a child grid *must* fall on a zone
boundary of the enclosing parent grid).

I think that's causing your issue.

In principle load_amr_grids should be able to detect this case and raise an
error message that the AMR grid structure is not well-formed.

Was that a formatting error in your test script, or is this what your
"real" data look like?

-Nathan