[yt-users] HaloMassFunction

Io Odderskov io.odderskov at gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:43:09 PDT 2016

Dear Yt-users.

I have just started used Yt, which I find to be very useful. However, I am
having trouble converting the units of the output of the
HaloMassFcn-function to match other data sets.

I have tried comparing the Tinker 2008 fitting function produced by
HaloMassFcn to the halo mass function from the Halo Finder Comparison
Project (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1104.0949v1.pdf) and to a halo catalogue
from the DEUS consortium (http://www.deus-consortium.org/deuvo/#download).
In these cases, the halo masses are given in Msun/h, and the cumulative
halo number density in h^3/Mpc^3. According to the Yt-documentation, the
masses output by the HaloMassFcn-function should be in Msun, and the number
densities in 1/Mpc^3. To convert to Msun/h and h^3/Mpc^3, I multiply the
masses by h, and divide the number densities with h^3. In the attached
figure, this corresponds to the line labelled "Tinker2008 - masses
multiplied by h", which does not match the other data sets very well. If I
instead divide the masses by h, I get the line labelled Tinker2008 - masses
divided by h", which looks much better. But I really can't see how to
justify this conversion.

I hope you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong :-)
Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Io.

script: http://paste.yt-project.org/show/6530/
image http://imgur.com/otWW3QJ

version:

  Version = 3.2.3
  Changeset = bdea84d95099 (stable) @

P.S. When I tried to do "yt upload_image", I got a 404 error. Perhaps imgur
changed their API?