[yt-users] reading gadget-2 binary/hdf5 format

Semyeong Oh semyeong.oh at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:46:41 PDT 2016

Hello,

I'm having trouble reading gadget-2 both binary and hdf5 format, and
was wondering if I could get some help.
I'm testing out with the example distributed with gadget code, the gas
sphere example which only
contains ~1500 gas particles.

- If I try to read the initial condition (distributed with gadget) binary
file with yt.load, this command seems to
execute fine, but the field_list returns empty list.

- If I try to read the output of the simulation in hdf5 format,
fname = 'output/snapshot_000.hdf5'
unit_base = {'UnitLength_in_cm'         : 1.,
             'UnitMass_in_g'            : 1.,
             'UnitVelocity_in_cm_per_s' : 1.}

bbox_lim = 5
bbox = [[-bbox_lim,bbox_lim],
        [-bbox_lim,bbox_lim],
        [-bbox_lim,bbox_lim]]

ds = yt.load(fname,unit_base=unit_base, bounding_box=bbox)

and try ds.field_list or ds.print_stats,
I end up getting something like this
https://gist.github.com/smoh/7779e9ef546f9b05565aef86893dccd2
which is obscure.

What am I doing wrong?