[yt-users] Downsampling AMR data for plotting isocontours

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:33:22 PDT 2016

Hi Dan,

I think you should be able to set the max_level attribute on the data
object you're creating the surface from. Here's an example:

    import yt
    ds = yt.load('IsolatedGalaxy/galaxy0030/galaxy0030')
    ad = ds.all_data()
    ad.max_level = 6
    ds.surface(ad, 'density', 5e-27)
    surf = ds.surface(ad, 'density', 5e-27)

You can then export the surface if you want (I used export_ply) to verify
that that degrading the resolution produces a reasonable low-resolution
representation:

http://imgur.com/a/WkOjA

Here I'm using meshlab to view the surfaces outside of yt after exporting
them to ply files. The left-hand one has max_level = 4, the right-hand one
is with no max_level.

-Nathan