[yt-users] origin in SlicePlot

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 09:47:54 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Iapichino, Luigi <Luigi.Iapichino at lrz.de>
wrote:

> Dear yt users,
>

> I have a question on the "origin" parameter in SlicePlot: is it possible
> to have the location of the origin of the plot coordinate system in a
> user-defined point inside the slice? I am plotting a galaxy cluster where,
> for sake of visualisation, the center is neither in the slice center, nor
> in one of the corners, and I would like the coordinate origin there. It
> looks like something possible only with a lot of efforts, but I hope I am
> wrong! Looking forward to your suggestions,
>

> Best regards,
>

>   Luigi

Hi Luigi,

That isn't implemented currently, although it sounds like a reasonable
feature to add.

The place that needs to be modified is this function:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/1c339ea7619997cba6842e973cf5f0e13b2f30ee/yt/visualization/plot_window.py?at=yt&fileviewer=file-view-default#plot_window.py-627

You would need to add a new if statement to account for the case when
origin is a two-element list, tuple or ndarray, and then just use that
value. You would also need to update the docstrings for "origin" which are
replicated a few places in that file. I think this would be a pretty simple
modification.

If you're interested in working on this, we would very much appreciate it
if you contributed this modification back to the yt project. You can get
more information about contributing to yt on our developer guide:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/developing/index.html

People on this list are also very happy to help out with questions about
contributing to yt.

If you're not interested in implementing this then i'd suggest opening an
issue for the feature request:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/new