[yt-users] yt install_script vs Blue Waters SSL

Levy, Stuart A salevy at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 8 18:30:32 PST 2016

Hello yt people,

I'm trying to install current yt-3.3dev on Blue Waters at NCSA, using the install_script.sh route.

After hacking around the fact that it has an obsolete & unsafe openssl library as the default (I needed to pass LDFLAGS/CPPFLAGS to the python build to set the -L and -rpath to the non-default usable openssl), I'm having lots of trouble getting other component installs to work.   The yt_install.log has things like

Processing dependencies for matplotlib==1.4.3
Searching for pytz
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/pytz/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/pytz/: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581) -- Some packages may not be found!
Couldn't find index page for 'pytz' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581) -- Some packages may not be found!
No local packages or download links found for pytz
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pytz')

Yet when I run what seems like the same install by hand  ($DIR/bin/pip -v install pytz) it works fine, without error.

I can then re-run install_script.sh, until it reaches the next dependency and fails, etc.   Each cycle takes 5-10 minutes so it's pretty tedious.

***=> I don't understand why the internal-to-matplotlib-setup call to pip fails, while it succeeds when I run it by hand.

A suspicion: could the CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED errors be hinting that Blue Waters has an https gateway to the outside world that rewrites SSL certificates?   I don't know whether that's true.   This page suggested a way to grab the needed root certificate and point env var PIP_CERT at it...
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25981703/pip-install-fails-with-connection-error-ssl-certificate-verify-failed-certi
but trying that didn't help in this case.   The yt-installed "pip" works fine when run by hand, but whatever matplotlib's setup.py is running still fails.