[yt-users] YT project: Isolated Galaxy dataset

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 05:59:19 PST 2016

Hi Tomer,

Are you referring to IsolatedGalaxy/galaxy0030/galaxy0030? This is an Enzo
dataset, which has a number of runtime parameters encoded in the output
file (actually in the galsxy0030 text file we use to signify the full
dataset when loading it with yt). You can take a look at the Enzo
documentation to see what each runtime parameter means:

http://enzo-project.org/docs/2.4/parameters/index.html

I wasn't around when this dataset was generated, but my understanding is
that it was generated purely for debugging purposes by Ji-Hoon Kim many
years ago. The idea was to create an Enzo dataset that contains as many
fields as possible as a test for yt's field detection machinery. This makes
that some of the fields (e.g. the magnetic field variables for one) don't
actually contain valid data. We tend to use it a lot in the documentation
partly for historical purposes and also party because it's small and nice
looking.

I don't think this dataset ever made it into a published paper, but it's
setup is very similar to the ones described here:

http://mnras.oxfordjournals.org/content/432/2/1701.full.pdf

Nathan