[yt-users] Absorber size from Absorption Spectrum fit?

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 10:27:04 PDT 2016

To my knowledge, there is no built-in way to get the size of each
absorber.  You could write some simple code to look at the ion density
values along the LightRay object, and then make a threshold above which
something is an absorber and below which it is not, and then use that to
estimate the length of each absorber.  That might work.

Cameron

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Stephanie Tonnesen <stonnes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a feelling that the answer to this is--nope, not easy or built-in,
> but thought I should check before I go nuts staring at the source code.  I
> know that once I make a spectrum I can get the column density of all the
> absorbers along a LightRay, and the b value.  Is there a way to get the
> size, or length, of each absorber?  I see a figure doing this in the Egan
> 2014 paper, but don't see a clear way to ask for it in any of the calls,
> nor do I see anything in Trident.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephanie
>
> --