[yt-users] Contours on phase plots, or selecting what to plot in a phase plot

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 08:48:47 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Stephanie Tonnesen <stonnes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently making some PhasePlots to describe cosmological data.  I
> want to look at the HI Density, but I really only want to look at the
> distribution in baryon_overdensity-Temperature space that contains a decent
> number of cells.  I can make a PhasePlot of "ones" so I can see where the
> more populated regions are, but I would like to be able to use that in my
> other PhasePlots.
>
> I can think of two ways to do this--overplot contours based on the
> PhasePlot data at some value (say, 300 cells).  Alternatively, I could only
> include data that has 300 or more cells in the PhasePlot.

I don't think it's possible to do this with PhasePlot directly right now. I
think it would be possible to add it, but someone would need to think about
a good API first.

That said, it's possible to do this by manually plotting the profile
objects using matplotlib:

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/urls/girder.hub.yt/api/v1/item/57bb1cddf5def50001428d71/download?contentDisposition=inline

I could have also done this example without creating the two PhasePlot
objects and instead just creating the profile object directly using the
create_profile function.

I set this up on the yt hub, along with the test dataset it uses:

https://girder.hub.yt/#user/576191a73b2e4d000170118f/folder/576191a73b2e4d0001701190

-Nathan