[yt-users] load spherical polar coordinate data with mesh refinement in HDF5

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Mon Apr 4 14:31:13 PDT 2016

This mapped grid capability is similar to what Sam Jones e-mailed the list
about a week or two ago.  Their grid is logically Cartesian, but a mapping
function transforms it to a different shape.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Yan-Fei,
>
> I've thought about this a bunch.  I *think* that it's feasible, with
> only very minor modifications to the existing system, as long as
> there's a mapping we can construct for the spacing, and that mapping
> is unique across the grids at fixed levels.
>
> What I mean by that is, if we can have a function that operates such
> that it's given a set of integer values (integer coordinate [xyz],
> resolution level) and it can return a position and a width (in linear
> space), we can implement this without too much trouble.  I can see
> some tricky things relating to how to switch between log/lin
> visualization, but they should be surmountable. (And presumably, if
> you have a log spaced dataset, you won't want linear viz terribly
> frequently anyway.)  Generating the integer coordinate might be the
> funniest part; in linear space it's just
> (pos-domain_left_edge)/local_dx, but I don't know the specifics of
> your data format.
>
> -Matt
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Jonah Miller
> <jonah.maxwell.miller at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Yan-Fei,
> >
> > I don't think this will work out of the box. Matt may have more insight
> > here.
> >
> > Best,
> > Jonah
> >

> > On 16-03-31 01:03 AM, Jiang, Yanfei wrote:
> >
> > Hi Matt and Jonah,
> >
> >     I think I can use load_hexahedral_mesh to load data from each mesh
> > block. But it cannot use three arrays (xgrid, ygrid, zgrid) to define the
> > whole mesh due to mesh refinement. I guess I can create a dict to collect
> > the data from each mesh block, as in load_amr_grids (but not the same).
> The
> > question is will such a data structure (a dict of hexahedral_mesh) be
> > recognized by yt?
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Jonah Miller
> > <jonah.maxwell.miller at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Yanfei,
> >>
> >> To add to Matt's comment. Here is the documentation for using
> >> load_hexahedral_mesh.
> >>

> http://yt-project.org/doc/examining/loading_data.html#semi-structured-grid-data
> >>

> http://yt-project.org/doc/reference/api/generated/yt.frontends.stream.data_structures.load_hexahedral_mesh.html
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Jonah

> it

> Cartesian,
> >>>>>

> http://yt-project.org/doc/examining/generic_array_data.html#loading-numpy-array
> >>>>>

> http://yt-project.org/doc/reference/api/generated/yt.frontends.stream.data_structures.load_amr_grids.html#yt.frontends.stream.data_structures.load_amr_grids

> have

> > --
> > Yan-Fei Jiang
> >
> > Einstein Fellow
> > Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
> > 60 Garden Street, Cambridge MA USA 02138

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale