[yt-users] Change in SPH kernel behavior

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:31:01 PDT 2015

For those of you who were present at the AGORA workshop a month ago, this
kernel normalization seems to correctly address some of the mass issues
that I identified were present between grid codes and particle codes in
isolated galaxy sims, and which prompted this fix.  I'll have more of a
follow up on mass conservation between codes sent to AGORA members before
our next meeting.

Thanks for working on this, Matt, Nathan, Ben, Bobby, et al.

Cameron

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to bring to your attention a change in the SPH smoothing
> kernel behavior.  This has landed on the development version on yt,
> but *not* the stable, and will not be backported to stable until the
> next major release (3.3).
>
> Previously, a kernel normalization was applied to smoothed grid cells.
> This could result in mass conservation not being 100% preserved; some
> cases were worse than others.  (Cosmology was typically fine.)  The
> recent change has removed the normalization step.
>
> Here are some relevant PRs:
>

> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/1740/remove-normalization-from-smoothing-kernel
>
> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/1721/allow-for-neighbors-of-neighbors-searching

Cameron Hummels