[yt-users] HOP and FOF for filtered particles

Hilary Egan hilary.egan at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 3 10:05:06 PDT 2015

Hi José,

Unfortunately the old halo finders (HOP/FOF) don't accept a particle type
keyword argument at the moment.
There's a work in progress PR that implements a new version of FOF that
should allow you to specify a particle
type, it just hasn't been merged into mainline yt because it's not
completely tested. It's available here
(
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/1618/wip-hybrid-rockstar/)
if you wanted to test it out, and
you could run the new version of FOF as follows:

```
from yt.analysis_modules.halo_analysis.api import HaloCatalog

hc = HaloCatalog(data_ds=ds, finder_method='yt_fof',

 finder_kwargs={'particle_type':'my_particle_type'})
hc.create()
```

Sorry thats not completely helpful, but hopefully we should have this fully
implemented soon!

-Hilary

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM, José Utreras <jutreras at das.uchile.cl>
wrote:

> Hi Nathan!
>
> I thought in using the filters but I don't see how to pass this
> information to the group-finder methods before the groups are identified.

>> I'm not sure how it interacts with the halo finding / FOF machinery, but
>> you may be interested in this docs page on particle filters:
>>

>> http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/filtering.html#filtering-particle-fields
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM, José Utreras <jutreras at das.uchile.cl>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I'm working with Enzo and I'm trying to identify groups of stars
>>> particles. Now I wanted to create groups but only of young stars. I thought
>>> using HOP but I don't see how to filter particles before crating the groups.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jose

Hilary Egan
Astrophysical and Planetary Science Department
University of Colorado Boulder