[yt-users] custom opacity transfer function in volume rendering

Wolfgang Kastaun physik at fangwolg.de
Fri Oct 30 09:48:40 PDT 2015

Hi again,

Is there a way to specify the opacity transfer function and the colormap
for volume rendering independently? I am looking for something like
cam.transfer_function.map_to_colormap(), but allowing me to specify a
transfer function for the opacity myself, independently of the transfer
function for the colormap.

What I am trying to achieve with that is the following: a field below a
dynamically chosen cutoff should be completely transparent, so that I
can always see the structure of the field where it is strongest, no
matter what the absolute strength is. The color on the other hand should
depend on the absolute value. E.g. I want to make a movie where I see
the structure of the strongest parts of a field, unobstructed by the
rest, but with a color that changes together with the absolute field
strength.

Cheers,
Wolfgang.