[yt-users] Star formation rate with Gadget input

Joseph Smidt josephsmidt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 15:06:32 PDT 2015

Hey everyone,

    I have a gadget file from which I can extract both stellar
creation time and masses.  Following the example here [1], I thought I
could use the StarFormationRate routine assuming I feed it both the
creation time in Myr, and masses in Msun like this [2]. (The YT part
of my code is under the "YT Stuff" header.)

   Unfortunately, I get this error [3] that contains "Could not find
field '('all', 'creation_time')'".  But I gave it the creation time by
hand and so I naively thought YT would not need to search for this
array.

   Is there a way to use StarFormationRate with Gadget data?  Is there
something more I need to do besides feed YT arrays for both star_mass
and creation_time to get StarFormationRate to work without searching
for this extra field that doesn't exist in Gadget?

PS.  From my error you see that I am using a development snapshot of
YT 3.2.  Thanks.

[1] http://yt-project.org/doc/analyzing/analysis_modules/star_analysis.html

[2] http://pastebin.com/6smMT6AA

[3] http://pastebin.com/1Yxwam1T