[yt-users] What does create_profile do?

Yuan Li yuan at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 2 15:03:26 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a really basic dumb question: what does yt do when it creates a
profile?

For example, if I do this:
prof=yt.create_profile(sp,"radius",["temperature"],
accumulation=False,n_bins=n_bins,weight_field="ones")

Is prof["temperature"].value the arithmetic average of the temperatures of
all the cells within each radius bin?

The reason why I ask is because when I create a profile plot
of "CoolingRate" (my derived field) using yt, and compare that with the one
I create with tracer particles, they look different at low temperatures.
Since I put one particle in the center of each cell, I assume that the two
methods should give the same results. Did I make a silly mistake somewhere
or does yt do some sort of smoothing to the data?

Thank you!
Yuan