[yt-users] Problem installing V3.2.1

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 18:55:07 PST 2015

Hi Deborah,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.  So with yt 3.2.1 we're shipping a
newer version of python 2.7. As of python 2.7.9, the SSL libraries shipped
with python have been updates, and we've had lots of reports of people on
somewhat older clusters no longer being able to run the install script.

It seems your python is able to link against libopenssl and build an _ssl
module, but for some reason when it actually tries to *make* an SSL
connection with https://bootstrap.pypa.io, it dies. This could be because
the OpenSSL library installed on the cluster doesn't support either sha256
certificates or SAN certificates. Since most clusters don't get OS updates
very often, this is a recipe for sadness for our install script.

One of the pip developers on the pypa channel on freenode just suggested to
me that we might get more information if you edit the install script where
it calls get_pip.py to include a "-vvvv" option. We call get_pip.py here:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/stable/doc/install_script.sh?at=yt-3.2.1&fileviewer=file-view-default#install_script.sh-895

And you'd need to add "-vvvv" getween "get_pip.py" and "2>&1". This will
show more output when the script fails.

On the other hand, to sidestep these issues with source installs, you might
have more luck using the get_yt.sh script, which sets up a miniconda
environment that includes its own openssl installation separate from the
OS. You can download get_yt.sh using curl or wget from the following url:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/raw/1cd224904d442bd872f6c8969d4a12935cb7ac64/doc/get_yt.sh

You can run the get_yt.sh script just like install_script.sh. By default it
will install a binary version of yt from the anaconda package servers, but
you can also build yt from source by setting INST_YT_SOURCE=1 near the top
of the script. Once the script is done, simply add the yt-conda/bin folder
to your path and then everything should be working.

Hope that helps!

-Nathan