[yt-users] weird square feature in dark matter density slice map

Junhwan Choi (최준환) choi.junhwan at gmail.com
Thu May 14 08:14:48 PDT 2015

Thank you for your advice,

I would like to confirm whether the weird square feature is only for
visualization effect or also in real cic computed data.
What I plan to do is to compute power spectrum from the cic data set
that I would get using covering_grid object.
If the particle cic in enzo has intrinsic cic issue, I need to wait
for SPH or find other way.

Thank you,
Junhwan

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> It can't right now do that, but I've got that on my todo list for the
> next week or so.  I haven't yet implemented "smooth" for grid objects.
>
> -Matt
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:52 AM, John Wise <jwise at physics.gatech.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Junhwan,
>>
>> This is an artifact from the cloud-in-cell interpolation.
>>
>> To anyone else, can yt smooth the DM density field with an SPH kernel?
>>
>> Another solution is to use Enzo to smooth the DM density internally with the
>> command line option, "-M" with the usual "-d -r" flags for a restart and
>> debug mode.  This will overwrite the Dark_Matter_Density field with one
>> that's smoothed with a standard SPH kernel.  I would perform this operation
>> on a copy of the data just in case the process failed, in which case the
>> dataset will become corrupted.  Then you would plot "dark_matter_density" in
>> yt.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>>

>> On 05/14/2015 10:33 AM, Junhwan Choi (최준환) wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi yt users,
>>>
>>> I make a simple dark matter slice map from my enzo simulation output
>>> with following script.
>>> pc = yt.SlicePlot(ds, "z", ('deposit', 'io_cic'), width = (244.0,
>>> 'Mpccm/h'), center=cen_center)
>>> pc.annotate_text((0.7,0.9),'z=%4.2f' % ds.current_redshift,
>>> coord_system='figure', text_args = text_dict)
>>> pc.annotate_velocity(factor=16, scale=None, scale_units=None,
>>> normalize=False)