[yt-users] weird square feature in dark matter density slice map

John Wise jwise at physics.gatech.edu
Thu May 14 07:52:28 PDT 2015

Hi Junhwan,

This is an artifact from the cloud-in-cell interpolation.

To anyone else, can yt smooth the DM density field with an SPH kernel?

Another solution is to use Enzo to smooth the DM density internally with
the command line option, "-M" with the usual "-d -r" flags for a restart
and debug mode.  This will overwrite the Dark_Matter_Density field with
one that's smoothed with a standard SPH kernel.  I would perform this
operation on a copy of the data just in case the process failed, in
which case the dataset will become corrupted.  Then you would plot
"dark_matter_density" in yt.

Thanks,
John

On 05/14/2015 10:33 AM, Junhwan Choi (최준환) wrote:
> Hi yt users,
>
> I make a simple dark matter slice map from my enzo simulation output
> with following script.
> ==================
> pc = yt.SlicePlot(ds, "z", ('deposit', 'io_cic'), width = (244.0,
> 'Mpccm/h'), center=cen_center)
> pc.annotate_text((0.7,0.9),'z=%4.2f' % ds.current_redshift,
> coord_system='figure', text_args = text_dict)
> pc.annotate_velocity(factor=16, scale=None, scale_units=None, normalize=False)
> pc.save("cen_all_0000")
>
> I see the weird 5x6 square shapes on the plot.
> Why this square/cube shape result from and how to remove this?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Junhwan

John Wise
Assistant Professor of Physics
Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, Georgia Tech
http://cosmo.gatech.edu