[yt-users] Questions on using yt - ENZO simulation data

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:00:09 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Patrick King <pkk4hu at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Hello yt-users,
>
> I am a graduate student working at the University of Virginia, and I would
> really appreciate some help! I’ve been using yt for a few weeks now to
> visualize some simulations I’ve run using the ENZO AMR code. I’ve been able
> to produce several derived fields using the documentation, but I’ve gotten
> to the point where I need some help with a more advanced usage of the code.
>
> Under some approximations, I’ve used yt to determine the Stokes parameters
> for the radiation field at each grid point. Using yt I can quite easily
> produce column-averaged plots using projection plot. However, to determine
> the values I need, I need to actually manipulate the column averaged
> values. The Stokes parameters give me all the information I need to do
> this, but these must be column averaged first - I’m essentially using yt to
> produce values which can be compared to observational data. Can I use
> projection plot to produce a numpy array that I can manipulate just like in
> regular python? I’ve been combing the documentation but I can’t find out
> how to do this. Alternatively, I would like to produce a numpy array from
> the derived field I calculated and then I can just integrate along columns.

You can create a ProjectionPlot (or a projection data object) of your
derived field.  This could be either an unweighted (i.e. a column-density
like projection) or a weighted projection (normalized by the unweighted
projection of the weight field).  Is that different from what you were
trying to do?  It might be easier to advise if you sketch out what you're
trying to do in pseudocode.

-Nathan