[yt-users] is there a limit on image size?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 12:57:54 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Dave Semeraro <semeraro at tacc.utexas.edu>
wrote:

> Helly yt-crowd.
>

> I am doing some volume rendering in yt and getting some errors when I try
> to grow the image size. I am trying to write a png image that is 1024 x
> 1024. I get the following errors:
>

> image_array.py:229: RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in multiply
>
> np.multiply(self[:, :, :3], 1.0/cmax, out[:, :, :3])

The warning is being triggered here:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/8ad62b62439013a33e3a2b568a5a26b567e93f54/yt/data_objects/image_array.py?at=yt#cl-229

which I think means cmax is 0.  I'd need to see the full traceback or step
through execution in a debugger to figure out why.

> yt_array.py:764: RuntimeWarning: divide by zero encountered in divide
>
>   return YTArray(super(YTArray, self).__rdiv__(lo))
>

> The largest image I can generate is about 800x 800. It is a nice image too
> I tell ya. Just wish I could do a bigger one to submit for publication.

There's no limit on the image size for a volume rendering.