[yt-users] data_source SlicePlot Error

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:40:19 PDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Andrew James Emerick <aje2123 at columbia.edu>
wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> I can do "import h5py" without issue in a python script, and checked the
> "from h5py import _errors" statement that seems to cause the breakage.
> Updating via conda didn't fix the issue. I have hdf5 and h5py installed via
> conda.
>
> Doing some more checking it looks like (for whatever reason) when running
> "yt update" it is looking for a version of the hdf5 library that I don't
> have anywhere. When I did the soft linking of the libhdf5.so that I do have
> to the libhdf5.so.6 that it is looking for, it yelled at me saying it is
> trying to use the HDF5 version 1.8.4 headers, but can't find the
> corresponding libraries. (the most up to date version I have installed is
> 1.8.14).
>
> I guess a workaround would be to get the HDF5 1.8.4 library somewhere, but
> I'm still bothered by this...

I'm not sure what's going wrong here.  You shouldn't need to create a
softlink and you shouldn't need to install an old version of the hdf5
library. It sort of looks like you have the remnants of an old python
installation conflicting with your current anaconda installation.
Unfortunately it's really hard to debug this sort of thing remotely...

Can you paste the output of:

$ which yt
$ which python
$ python -c 'import yt; yt.__file__'

I'm looking for yt being installed in a strange place outside of your
normal python installation.

You could try the yt conda package, installable via "consta install yt",
which is newer than the old pre-yt 3.1 development version you had
installed.

You could also try installing yt from a fresh clone of the yt mercurial
repository.  See the instructions here:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/installing.html#installing-yt-using-pip-or-from-source

Finally, you could build a fresh conda package based on the yt mercurial
repostiory.  That will require a small modification to the conda recipe to
point it at the mercurial repository instead of the release tarball on pypi.

Hope you're able to sort this out.

-Nathan

PS Python packaging is literally the worst.