[yt-users] Tipsy Stellar Ages

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:24:29 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Desika Narayanan <dnarayan at haverford.edu>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to understand some of the stellar ages that the Tipsy example
> data (the isolated galaxy) at:
>
> http://yt-project.org/data/
>
> When I examine the formation time with the super-simple script:
>
> http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5501/
>
> I get:
>
> max star age:  100.000499852 Gyr
>
> I thought normally the formation time was the current simulation time
> minus the stellar age for Tipsy outputs - am I interpreting this wrongly?

Hi Desika,

I encountered this before.  Take a look at the following section of the
docs, which makes use of this dataset:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/filtering.html#filtering-particle-fields

I don't have a copy of gasoline to confirm this, but the conclusion I came
to is that the stars in the initial conditions for this simulation were
given a creation time arbitrarily far in the future, generating spurious
stellar ages.

If you instead define particle filters for formed stars like so:

def young_stars(pfilter, data):
    age = data.ds.current_time - data[pfilter.filtered_type,
"creation_time"]
    filter = np.logical_and(age.in_units('Myr') <= 5, age >= 0)
    return filter

def old_stars(pfilter, data):
    age = data.ds.current_time - data[pfilter.filtered_type,
"creation_time"]
    filter = np.logical_or(age.in_units('Myr') >= 5, age < 0)
    return filter

where I've arbitrarily chosen 5 Myr as the cutoff for old stars and young
stars, you'll find that your results make more sense.

HTH,

Nathan