[yt-users] Shock Finding

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Tue Jun 23 09:04:31 PDT 2015

I don't have yt code, but I agree that this would be a useful standard
derived field to add.  As for the methodology, the shock detection
algorithm that is used in a lot of codes looks for regions where there is
compression and a pressure jump (to separate shocks from rarefactions).
Most PPM or similar hydro codes (even those that are not directionally
split) will do this check in 1-d when determining whether to apply
flattening to shocks (to prevent their self-steepening from making them too
steep), and then look in all directions to figure out if a zone should be
flattened.  You want to do a single multi-d shock detection, which will
mean computing the velocity divergence and the pressure jump in the normal
direction.  Here's the code we use in Castro which inherits some ideas from
other codes (Flash, and the ppm papers).  Look for the subroutine shock().

https://github.com/BoxLib-Codes/Castro/blob/master/Source/Src_3d/riemann_3d.f90

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Yuan Li <yuan at astro.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to figure out a way to mask out cells that contain shocks. One
> way I can think of is to create a derived field by identifying shocks. It
> seems that there are different ways of finding shocks: Enzo has a
> refinement criterion (refine by shocks) and there is also shock finding
> written by Sam.
>
> Has anybody tried to find shocks using yt? I would appreciate it if you
> would like to share your code/experience/advice. Thank you!
>
> Yuan

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale