[yt-users] convert arbitrary particle based quantities to cloud-in-cell mesh

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 02:54:43 PDT 2015

Hi Brendan,

I would have a look in the yt source in yt/fields/particle_fields.py at the
field functions like particle_mass and particle_cic.  They are good
examples of just how the deposited fields are done.  In addition, there is
a field function, _get_density_weighted_deposit_field, for doing
mass-weighted deposited fields.  I think this is exactly what you're
looking for.  In fact, it seems that mass-weighted velocity fields already
exist as something like ("deposit", "<PTYPE>_sum_velocity_x") or
("deposit", "<PTYPE>_nn_velocity_x").  If you have multiple particle types
for stars and such, they should already be defined with these fields.  This
should give you a template for implementing any other fields of this type.

Britton