[yt-users] Shock Finding

Christine Simpson csimpson at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 24 02:47:55 PDT 2015

Hi Yuan,

I don’t have any advice to give on shock-finding in yt or Enzo, but I thought I’d point out this paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.4117

You might find Section 5 interesting.  Basically, a common assumption of shock finders is to filter using the dot product of the temperature and entropy gradients.  When you do this, the computed dissipated energy can be sensitive to your assumptions for the other jump requirements, and depending on what you assume, can identify spurious shocks.  This paper instead of using the entropy gradient, uses the density gradient, and gives somewhat different results.  More knowledgable people than me can probably give you better advice, but I thought you might find this interesting, especially if you’re going to write something yourself.

Christine