[yt-users] wired square in enzo DM slice map

Brian O'Shea bwoshea at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 17:30:28 PDT 2015

> >> yt's "arbitrary_grid" feature might also be useful here.
> >>

> http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/objects.html?highlight=arbitrary_grid#arbitrary-grid
> >

> > I concur, though if the size of the grid or number of particles is large
> (as
> > in the simulation I've been working with) this can result in memory
> issues.
> >

> I'm hesitating to push us further into the weeds here when you've
> given a very thoughtful and helpful reply to Junhwan, but
> arbitrary_grid can be flat along one dimension (i.e., NxMx1) and was
> designed for this use case.

Oh, this is intriguing - I stumbled across this when I came up with my
original (hacktacular) solution, but in my reading of the documentation
(and, admittedly, a cursory skim of the source code) suggested that if I
wanted to, say, project the density of *all* of the particles in a
simulation onto a grid of [NxMx1] that it would not work - I'd only get
particles that happened to intersect the one-cell-thick volume of that
grid, which would give me a slice but not a projection.  Did I misread
that?  If so, it is a much more elegant solution than mine.  :-)

--Brian