[yt-users] ramses dataset structure

Desika Narayanan dnarayan at haverford.edu
Tue Jun 2 06:41:51 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I have a couple of very super basic questions about how Ramses data sets
are organized which I think are all related (and rooted in my total
ignorance of Ramses outputs).

1. How should I interpret the particle data outputs from a Ramses data set?

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5579

on a yt example data set, I get a total particle mass of  total particle
mass =  1.13468176647e+16 Msun

What particles does this encompass?  It seems large even for dark matter
and stars.

2. Relatedly - is there an obvious way to extract just the information
about stars from a ramses data set?   (Assuming the particles are made up
of only dark matter and stars...though maybe I have that wrong?)

3.  If I run the same script with the Output 00101 (Cosmology output) from
the yt Ramses data sets, I find that a derived field list doesn't list
anything that's obviously for the gas.  Unless this is the 'deposit' fields
(which my gadget-centric brain thinks is related to an octree deposition
somehow).

Thanks!
-desika