[yt-users] plotting questions

Shankar Agarwal agarwalshankar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 05:45:13 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Thanks to Andrew/Cameron, p.set_zlim and p.set_colorbar_label worked well.

Moving on, I am making a projection plot of particles using:

1. ds = yt.load(DATA_SET) # load info_file
2. p = yt.ParticleProjectionPlot(ds, 2, ['particle_mass'],
center=(0.325,0.612,0.817))
3. p.set_width((2,'Mpc'))

As you can see, I am choosing a center, and projecting all particles along
z-axis, onto the x-y within 2 Mpc width around the center. However, I would
like to do the following:

A) be able to change the "center" as many times as I prefer. Since the full
simulation data set is quite heavy, every time I change the center, it
takes about 30 minutes to get the final plot around the new center. So if I
want to change the center by even a little bit, it is a pain. Is there a
way to load the full data once, and then be able to repeat steps 2-3
quickly with different "center". I have about 200-300 "center" values
(corresponding to high density regions) I would like to explore.

B) p.show() does not pop the plot for me. I have to save it using p.save()
and then open the image. I have tried x11 and terminal. By the way, I am
running my plot script as "python myplot.py". In myplot.py do I need to
import something to display images?

Cheers,
Shankar