[yt-users] yt notebook, PuTTY, and port forwarding

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 11:01:09 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have an extremely strange problem. I'm trying to connect to the yt
notebook running on a remote server on a windows laptop using PuTTY. If I
try port forwarding using PuTTY, I can make

[remote-machine] $ python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8888

work just fine. That is, I can see the directory at localhost:8888 on the
windows laptop. However, if I try

[remote-machine] $ yt notebook

the windows laptop shows no route to host. I can confirm that on the
server, the yt notebook log registers nothing when the page is loaded or
reloaded on the laptop.

Has anyone seen this very strange behaviour before? I've tried running yt
notebook on port 8888, 8000, and 9999. All of those ports work fine for
SimpleHTTPServer, but all of them fail for yt notebook. I also tried
running the ipython notebook directly; it fails in exactly the same way.

I tried connecting from a linux machine to the same server; everything
worked just fine.

Any suggestions you might have would be most welcome!

thanks,

jeff