[yt-users] Logging of output

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:58:29 PST 2015

Hi Max,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Max Katz <maxpkatz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A glance at the source code (utilities/logger.py) indicates to me that yt
> is using the Python logging package for output information, and that
> depending on the choice of the option stdoutStreamLogging, this can be
> directed to either stdout or stderr. Since there's a lot of information
> piped to stdout whenever a dataset is opened, and this can tend to
> overwhelm any other information that is being displayed to screen it would
> be nice if the logging output could be redirected to a file. This can be
> done when setting the basicConfig for the logger
> <https://docs.python.org/2/howto/logging.html> when setting it up, but
> that page indicates that this configuration cannot be overridden after it
> has initially been set. Is there a way to include an option in yt for the
> user to direct the logging output to a file of their choice?

Not at the moment, no.

Of course, you can always redirect the output of a script to a file:

python my_script.py > all_output 2>&1

To make it so only logging statements get redirected, and not all stdout
and stderr, we could probably add a configuration option (see yt/config.py)
to specify a file where logging items should be dumped to.  If you'd be
interested, I think this would be a straightforward initial contribution to
yt.