[yt-users] Mass of Metals in Disk, Halo, Gas, and Stars

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:10:53 PST 2015

Hi Madison,

You could try creating a metal_mass derived field as the product of the
"metallicity" and the "cell_mass" fields.  Then use the derived quantity
"TotalQuantity" to find the total of that field for your sphere object or
your various components:

Derived field:
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/developing/creating_derived_fields.html
Derived quantity:
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/objects.html#processing-objects-derived-quantities

Cameron

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Fitzgerald, Madison Lyn <fitzg152 at msu.edu>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to find the total mass of metals in the disk, halo, gas, and
> stars of a given galaxy with yt 3.2.2, but I’m not exactly sure how to do
> that. What I’ve done so far is sum the metals in each of these areas and
> then divide the total mass by that (I’ve isolated each location I do this
> with a series of ####### above and below:
> http://paste.yt-project.org/show/6086/).
>
> How do I, instead, sum up the mass of the metals?
>
> Thank you,
> Madison Fitzgerald
>
> Astrophysics | Lyman Briggs College
> Women’s & Gender Studies | College of Arts & Letters
> LGBTQ and Sexuality Studies Specialization
> Women in Science, President
> Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
> Department of Physics and Astronomy
> Honors College