[yt-users] Derived Field Mass Unit Errors

Madison Fitzgerald fitzg152 at msu.edu
Sun Aug 23 20:32:30 PDT 2015

Hello,

I’ve been working on a project where I created derived fields to represent inflowing and outflowing gas in the galaxy. In doing so, I’ve run into a strange issue where yt wants my derived field for inflowing/outflowing mass (cell mass) to be dimensionless, but it will scale graphs as though the units are grams (original script found here: http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5829/ <http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5829/>).

However, this makes it difficult to work with the data, so I’ve tried to give units in the derived field function (g and Msun), but I receive errors similar to this (http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5830/ <http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5830/>).

If I try to change the specified unit within the mass function in the script to g or Msun, I receive this error when I try to plot instead (http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5831/ <http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5831/>).

I’m working with yt through miniconda, so I have yt version 3.2, no changeset, on a Mac with OS X 10.10.4.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Madison Fitzgerald

Astrophysics | Lyman Briggs College
Women’s & Gender Studies | College of Arts & Letters
LGBTQ and Sexuality Studies Specialization
Women in Science, President
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Department of Physics and Astronomy