[yt-users] problems installing rockstar with yt+anaconda

Brian O'Shea bwoshea at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 05:08:38 PDT 2015

Hi folks,

I'm using Enzo on Blue Waters, and to get it working I needed to install
anaconda and then install yt-3 from source (i.e., by 'hg clone
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt' and then 'python setup.py develop').

This does not install rockstar by default, unfortunately, and I am having
trouble getting rockstar working (although yt itself works great).  I've
tried to essentially mimic the rockstar portion of the install script for
yt-3 (https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/raw/yt/doc/install_script.sh) by
doing the following:

> hg clone http://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/rockstar
> hg pull
> hg up -C tip
> make lib
> cp librockstar.so  ~/local_lib/lib/.

and then pointing to ~/local_lib/lib with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (using the full
path, not the '~/' convention).  However, even when I do this I still can't
seem to persuade the rockstar interface code in yt to find rockstar.
Attempting to import rockstar in a script by:

from yt.analysis_modules.halo_finding.rockstar.api import RockstarHaloFinder

results in this error:

ImportError    : from .rockstar import RockstarHaloFinder
cannot import name rockstar_interface

and the script immediately exits.  When I look at the directory
yt/analysis_modules/halo_finding/rockstar in a version of yt that has been
installed from a script, there are some additional .so files
(rockstar_groupies.so and rockstar_interface.so) that aren't in my source
install, even when I've run 'python setup.py develop' in that directory.

I feel like I'm doing something obviously wrong here.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--Brian