[yt-users] Why individual plots have to be saved before being handed to eps_writer?

John Wise jwise at physics.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 3 09:03:30 PDT 2015

Hi Anni,

I just wanted to echo Nathan's and Matt's comments and say that
eps_writer relies on the image and axes ranges that are stored in the
PlotWindow.  So if the image hasn't been updated with the new colormap,
ranges, etc., which happens just before the image is created, the
original image will be inserted into the eps_writer framework.

If you need any help with creating this pull request, please let us know!

Thanks,
John

On 08/03/2015 10:25 AM, Nathan Goldbaum wrote:
> It's because the plots are not actually created until they are about to
> be saved to disk. This was a performance improvement that was added more
> recently tha. The eps writer and it looks like the eps writer was never
> updated to handle it.
>
> Take a look at the validate_plot decorator in
> yt/visualization/plot_container.py, any function decorated with this
> will make sure the matplotlib figure and axes exist and have a valid plot.
>
> I agree with Matt that this sounds like a great addition, very much
> looking forward to the pull request!
>
> On Monday, August 3, 2015, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com
> <mailto:matthewturk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Anni,
>
>     I think it's just an issue with how the plots are generated -- saving
>     makes sure they are the latestversion.  I think it would be great to
>     push something to warn the user if it hasn't been set up yet!
>
>     -MAtt
>
>     On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:45 AM, Anni Järvenpää
>     <anni.jarvenpaa at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>      > Hi All,
>      >
>      > I have been updating the eps_writer to handle a mixture of
>     profiles, slices
>      > and projections that can be displayed in a single plot (multiple
>     panels).
>      > eps_writer with my edits can be reviewed at
>      > http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5773/. However, in order to get
>     the plot
>      > axes to work correctly I need to save the individual plots as
>     well before
>      > passing them to the eps_writer.
>      >
>      > Here is an example script:
>     http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5772/. It works
>      > correctly as is, but uncommenting the changes in plots causes
>     weird results
>      > if I don't also save the individual plots. The result of saving and
>      > not-saving are below (as you can see the plot doesn't change but the
>      > axes/colorbar does).
>      > http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/aajarven/yt/noedit.png
>      > http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/aajarven/yt/edits-nosave.png
>      > http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/aajarven/yt/edits-save.png
>      >
>      > Does anyone know why the plots must be saved before being handed
>     to the
>      > eps_writer api?
>      > I'd like to push these changes to the eps_writer and could
>     possibly raise
>      > the save as a bug?
>      >
>      > Let me know.
>      >
>      > Anni
>      >
>      > yt-users mailing list
>      > yt-users at lists.spacepope.org <javascript:;>
>      >

John Wise
Assistant Professor of Physics
Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, Georgia Tech
http://cosmo.gatech.edu