[yt-users] Two different setup.py installs

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:47:17 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 7:42 AM, Junhwan Choi (최준환) <choi.junhwan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi yt user,
>
> I have one naive question.
> I install yt from the yt source with setup.py.
> There are two different way you can install.
> 1) python setup.py develop
> 2) python setup.py build and python setup.py install
>
> What is the different between two approach?
> Strangely, when I install with 1), the yt is installed but it crash
> when it runs.
> However, when I install with 2), the yt is installed and the same
> script run at this time.
> Is there anyone had a similar experience?

The main difference is the location of the installation.  The former uses
the clone of the mercurial repository as the "active" installation, the
latter copies all relavent files to a folder in your python's site_packages
directory.

Can you share the error message you see under "setup.py develop"?  It's
very hard to diagnose what's going wrong without a specific error message
to look at.