[yt-users] ad: Open Astrophysics Bookshelf

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Thu Apr 23 09:54:18 PDT 2015

Dear yt-ers, as many of us teach and train students (or are students),

I wanted to draw attention to a new project that I've been working on,

the Open Astrophysics Bookshelf.  Essentially it is just a github

organization where open (CC-licensed) astro texts can be hosted as git

repos.  The idea is that many of us have our own set of notes, with

varying degrees of polish, and by hosting the latex source on github,

we can invite other contributors to add to the notes.  This would also

enable the community to crowdsource new texts of interest to our

field, and free us all up from reinventing the wheel.

And since everything is openly licensed, anyone can create mash-ups of

the content to suit their needs.  I have a project page up here where

you can read some initial ideas:

http://open-astrophysics-bookshelf.github.io/

I've already moved my set of notes on Computational Astrophysical

Hydrodynamics there and I've contacted several of our colleagues about

hosting their own course notes/texts there as well---hopefully once

summer hits, we'll see some new stuff.

There is an empty template for a Scientific Computing Cookbook to

share tips/techniques and good practices across our field---this

latter one is a case where crowdsourcing can hopefully put something

nice together.  Many people I've spoken to in our field have noted the

need for some instructions on computing to new grad students.

The way I envision things working is that a book would have a lead

author (or authors) who are responsible for the overall flow, tone, etc.,

and as many contributing authors as want to help out, all of whom would

be listed on an author page (and, of course, in the git history).

Anyway, that's my ad---if contributing to community-sourced texts or

opening up something you've already written for a class interests

you, then I hope that you will help out.

--
Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale