[yt-users] Installation on Windows

John ZuHone jzuhone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:36:17 PDT 2014

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to yt!

If it's a 64-bit Windows machine, you should be able to install yt from the command prompt or Powershell using

conda install yt

If it's a 32-bit machine, it will still work but you will have to download the yt source and install it manually:

1) First, install the yt dependencies using anaconda:

conda install numpy sympy h5py hdf5 cython matplotlib libpython setuptools mingw ipython

2) Grab the tar.gz file from

https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/y/yt/yt-3.0.1.tar.gz

3) Unzip it, go into the directory that it creates and type

python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 install

Let me know if you have any problems,

Best,

John Z

John ZuHone
Kavli Center for Astrophysics and Space Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave., 37-582G
Cambridge, MA 02139
(w) 617-253-2354