[yt-users] camera rotations doing vr on a gadget ds

Desika Narayanan dnarayan at haverford.edu
Wed Sep 10 12:12:29 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I'm working with the changeset in the PR:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/1193/fix-bug-with-mismatched-smoothing-trees#comment-3027301

that has allowed gadget data sets to be visualized using volume rendering.

The following script:  http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5113/

(written with a good bit of help by Matt) produces the following image
('junk.png' in the script):

http://i.imgur.com/ro7fWZ0.png

note, the script relies on a function elsewhere (ds_zoom) that finds the
parttype0 density peak, and cuts out a region around it (for use with
cosmological data sets in this case).

My issue is that I'd like to use the nice camera rotation features, which
you can see I've included at the bottom of the script taken from the yt
docs.    The rotated images are all super dark though:

2 of them can be found here:

http://i.imgur.com/tbsbkti.png
http://i.imgur.com/SHY0KjJ.png

I've tried crankng down the clip_level by a factor up to 1e3 and don't see
much change.  Is this a transfer function issue?  Or are there other
keywords that I might try? (I can't seem to find much else in the help docs
for cam.rotation).

Finally, as a side question, is there an obvious way to make a color bar
for this sort of VR image?  The only description of this I could find
(though maybe missed it?) in the docs was associated with off-axis
projections, which didn't work in this case.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

desika