[yt-users] derived field with Grackle?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 12:56:52 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Brian O'Shea <bwoshea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am attempting to create a derived field from a cosmological simulation
> dataset using Grackle.  Specifically, I have a simulation that was run with
> Grackle, but which unfortunately did not output the cooling time.  Ergo, I'd
> like to create that as a derived field.  Does anybody have an example of a
> Grackle-based derived field in yt that I can use as a model?  I would note
> that I looked at the "run_from_yt.py" example in the Grackle distro, but it
> isn't quite what I need.

You'll probably need to use bits of that, and actually call Grackle on
your data object.  If you can set up Grackle outside of the derived
field you can minimize the overhead cost.  But, calling grackle just
like it would be otherwise, but inside the derived field definition,
is going to be the way to go I think.

-Matt