[yt-users] Rockstar and RAMSES (DM only run). Rockstar appears to run, but no halo information is written.

Ben Thompson bthompson2090 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 08:41:47 PDT 2014

Hello everyone.

I am currently using YT to run rockstar on my simulation.

I have been following the instructions which are around and about and have
managed to write a script to run rockstar via MPI

readers = int(ncpu/4.)
#Reserve one cpu for the server
writers = ncpu - readers - 1
print 'Running rockstar with %i writers and %i readers'%(writers, readers)
rh = RockstarHaloFinder(es, num_readers=readers, num_writers=writers,
                        particle_type="dark_matter", dm_only=True)
rh.run()

using a particle filter on the datasets

@yt.particle_filter("dark_matter", requires=[('particle_mass')])
def dark_matter(pfilter, data):
        if ('all', 'particle_age') in data.ds.field_list:
                return data[("all", "particle_age")] == 0.0
        else:
                arr = np.zeros(len(data['particle_mass']))
                return arr == 0.0

def setup_ds(ds):
        #Return only dark matter particles, and assert that the filter holds
        print 'Here'
        assert(ds.add_particle_filter("dark_matter"))

It seems to run fine.... e.g