[yt-users] adding a smoothed field

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:49:11 PST 2014

Hi Desika,

Looking over the code, if you have a *particle* quantity, you should be
able to add a *smoothed* quantity using this type of construction:

from yt.fields.particle_fields import add_volume_weighted_smoothed field

The API for this function is:

def add_volume_weighted_smoothed_field(ptype, coord_name, mass_name,
        smoothing_length_name, density_name, smoothed_field, registry,
        nneighbors = None)

so you should be able to supply particle type, "particle_position",
"particle_mass", "smoothing_length", the density name ("density" probably),
the name of the field to smooth, and then the ds.field_info.  I believe
this should do it, and it may require another step but I don't think so.

-Matt