[yt-users] Handling large files

Adam Jacobs adam.jacobs at stonybrook.edu
Wed Nov 26 16:49:40 PST 2014

Is it unreasonable for me to expect yt on a workstation with 4x3GHz cores
and ~20 GB of RAM to be able to handle a ~100 GB dataset?  I'm trying to
select out a subset of the dataset using cut_region(), but still seem to
run into hanging or running out of RAM.  For example, when I try to do a
write_out() on the cut region yt sucks up all 20 GB of RAM and I have to
kill it.  Is there a preferred method for loading in a subset of data?  I
don't need near the full 100 GB of data.

I'm using yt dev and looking at BoxLib/Maestro data.

--
Adam Jacobs
Department of Physics and Astronomy, PhD Candidate

http://astro.sunysb.edu/amjacobs/