[yt-users] domain-decomposition for volume rendering huge brick?

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 6 08:15:57 PST 2014

Hello all,

We're hoping to use yt parallel volume rendering on a very large generic
brick - it's a simple rectangular unigrid slab, but containing something
like 1.5e11 points, so much too large for load_uniform_grid() to load
into memory in a single machine.

I imagine it wouldn't be hard to do the domain decomposition by hand,
what?   What would it take to invoke the volume renderer on each piece
and composite them together?   Would it help if the chunks were stored
in a KDTree?   Is there some example (one of the existing data loaders?)
which I could follow?