[yt-users] A fly-through movie

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Tue Nov 4 10:10:55 PST 2014

I've always had good luck with mencoder which comes with mplayer.  I have a
simple script that makes the movies the way I found to be good, and
youtube-able here:

https://github.com/zingale/astro_animations/blob/master/scripts/mkmovie.py

ffmpeg is also widely used.  Most of these should be found in your distro's
package manager.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Matthew Past <mattpast at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am also trying to make a fly-through movie. What is the best way to
> combine the created images into a movie clip or gif?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Matt
>
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Suoqing JI <suoqing at physics.ucsb.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Prof. Zhao,
>>
>> For this kind of rotation, you might want to change the normal vector
>> which points from the camera position to the view point (the center). Say,
>> for a rotation around the origin on x-y plane, you could set the normal
>> vector to be [np.cos(theta), np.sin(theta), 0.], and for each values of
>> theta angle a snapshot could be taken. You might also want to specify the
>> north vector to a fixed direction, say [0., 0., 1.]
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> --
>> Suoqing JI
>> Ph.D Student
>> Department of Physics
>> University of California, Santa Barbara
>> CA 93106, USA
>>
>> On Nov 3, 2014, at 12:20 AM, Gongbo Zhao <gong-bo.zhao at port.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Suoqing. I have actually seen those scripts. But I am still
>> struggling to figure out how to do a movie like this,
>>
>> http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/data_vis/millennium_flythru.avi
>>
>> What I want was to fly through the box, identify the largest halo and
>> rotate it. I can zoom in, move the camera to the most dense region using
>> the sample script in the cookbook, but the rotation was not satisfactory.
>> it must be related to the north vector and the focus point I guess, but I
>> haven't figured out how to tune it. So I am wondering whether anyone has
>> done the same visualization using yt? Any advice helps.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> GB
>>

>> On 2 Nov 2014, at 17:09, Suoqing JI <suoqing at physics.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Prof. Zhao,
>>
>> Yes — you might find this example useful:
>> http://yt-project.org/doc/cookbook/complex_plots.html#cookbook-camera-movement
>>
>> Also, here is the description of Camera.move_to:
>> http://yt-project.org/doc/reference/api/generated/yt.visualization.volume_rendering.camera.Camera.move_to.html
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> --
>> Suoqing JI
>> Ph.D Student
>> Department of Physics
>> University of California, Santa Barbara
>> CA 93106, USA
>>

>> On Nov 2, 2014, at 1:00 AM, Gongbo Zhao <gong-bo.zhao at port.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to create a fly-through movie for my ENZO data (similar to
>> those millennium simulation movies). Has anyone does this using yt? I
>> understand that this probably can be done by tweaking the parameters for
>> the camera, but am not sure how to do it exactly.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>> GB

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale