[yt-users] question about transfer function colorbar

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Fri May 23 08:06:26 PDT 2014

Sam, I looked at this in more detail.  The transfer function is setting
things up correctly.  As best as I can tell, the issue is in the vert_cbar
routine.  In particular, since the transfer function uses linspace, which
by default has endpoint=True, when we convert from indices into x values,
we should divide by self.alpha.x.size-1 instead of self.alpha.x.size.
 i.e., if I change the one line:

            val = x * (self.alpha.x[-1] - self.alpha.x[0]) /
(self.alpha.x.size) + self.alpha.x[0]

            val = x * (self.alpha.x[-1] - self.alpha.x[0]) /
(self.alpha.x.size-1) + self.alpha.x[0]

then I get the expected behavior.

I am a little confused as well why we do add the "+1"
in np.floor(self.alpha.x[-1]) + 1, 1) when defining xticks as well -- I
imagine that's a good thing if your are working with logs, but for my
purpose, where x ranges from -1.e7 to 1.e7, this doesn't seem needed, but I
can live with that.

Thoughts?

*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale