[yt-users] Plot Background

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:41:39 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Andrew James Emerick <
emerick at astro.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Nathan & Christine,
>
> Thanks for the fixes. The 'dumb' solution is the one I was planning on
> doing if there wasn't a more attractive option, but I wanted to see if
> there was a built-in way to do this without changing the field values.
>
> Nathan:
> I do like your solution, and I do like the way the white on black looks in
> the plot. Its probably not universally useful, but I can imagine using it
> in some cases. Is there any way to do the matplotlib level commands though
> such that its just the background within the plot itself that changes
> (keeping the plot borders white). Basically doing what Christine suggested
> without editing the fields.

Ah, well I guess my solution was a bit overkill, eh?

What you want to do is actually quite simple:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/ngoldbaum/494689db94a2b4e29781

Note that you might not want to use black as the facecolor - I would
probably only use black if the colormap I was using had black as its lower
bound.

Another option would be to use a masked array and a custom colormap, e.g.
following this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2578752/how-can-i-plot-nan-values-as-a-special-color-with-imshow-in-matplotlib

To get this to work you'd need to add the colormap to yt's index of known
colormaps.