[yt-users] 3D movies in yt?

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Wed May 7 09:43:10 PDT 2014

A long time ago I did this with VisIt.  It could output two images from
slightly different views and then you could combine them with imagemagik:

     composite -stereo visit0001.tif visit0002.tif 3d.png

You should be able to get the same effect by rotating the image slightly
and saving a second image.

Note however that getting accurate colorspaces is important, and depending
on how you encode the movie, the color shift may make the 3-d effect go
away.  Again, years ago, I found the following worked:

mencoder "mf://frames/enuc_3d_*.png" -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=ffv1:format=BGR32 -mf type=png -o wd_576_enuc_stereo.avi

and this needed to be played as:

mplayer -vo gl2 wd_576_enuc_stereo.avi

I can't find my notes right now about the colorspace issue, but it's on the
google.

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Fernando Becerra <becerrafernando at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi yt users,
>
> Does anyone of you have experience in making 3D movies of your simulations
> with yt?
> So far I've been just using projections and volume renderings to make
> movies, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to generate 3D
> stereoscopic movies.
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Fernando.

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale