[yt-users] volume rendering

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 10:33:29 PDT 2014

Hi Renyue,

I've just tested a similar script on the same changeset that you are on and
had some amount of success. With yt-2.5.1, having a completely arbitrary
subvolume to build the AMRKDTree was not yet fully functional, and has
since been finished up.  For example, it used to be that if your le/re
edges didn't line up well with grids/cells you could run into problems.

It would be very useful to see your entire script and any output it
creates.  Could you paste each using http://paste.yt-project.org/ ?

If the code is just taking a long time (and not erroring out), it may just
be that it is taking a long time to construct the ghost zones (requires a
lot of disk i/o).  One thing you could test is to use no_ghost=True in both
lines of your script.  This will degrade the quality of the rendering but
would be useful information to know what the root cause of the problem is.

If, on the other hand, the code is erroring out after the
volume=AMRKDTree(...) call, I've seen similar behavior on yt-2.5.1, which
was fixed at some point in later development. I believe if you can update
to yt-2.6.1 most if not all of the problems will go away.

I hope this helps,
Sam