[yt-users] GADGET visualization

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 17:07:32 PST 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Andrew Weis <aweis at astro.columbia.edu> wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed reply.  I had forgotten that step, as it turns out.
> Thank you for those links.  I activated the installation, and endeavored to
> follow the steps at
> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/hub.yt-project.org/notebooks/e209c55b6aaa4a9ab12c55422bb3afdc.ipynb
>
> Most of the steps appeared to work, but when I tried to display the
> projection plot with pw.show(), nothing appeared.

Were you running those steps inside of an IPython notebook?  If so,
what happens when you add '%matplotlib inline' to the top of the
notebook?

If you weren't running of a notebook, that is the expected behavior.
You can save the plot to disk using pw.save() instead.

> I think the issue may lie
> with the definition of center; is the definition on the website a general
> definition, or specific to one simulation?  I am referring to the lines:
>
> # This is where the halo appears to be centered, although the halo center on
> the Agora website is somewhat different
>

> center=np.array([29.754, 32.1, 28.29])
>

> What do these numbers mean?  It is possible they may be different for my
> simulations, I would think, but how do we know that a particular halo is
> centered there?  Thanks again,

My guess is that Matt chose those as the location of an interesting
halo in the dataset he was looking at.  You will need to supply a
different center if you are looking at a different dataset.

If you're looking at a cosmology simulation, you will need to run a
halo finder to get the positions of the halos you want to look at.